pz_banner2

Monday, November 12, 2007

Unbeatable!

Part of the reason POP ZEUS! has been so barren lately is because I've been favoring music of the vinyl variety as of late, and I really don't have any good way to digitize it and share it with y'all. I finally found something so good that I forced myself to discover a way to do it. And you're going to be happy about it.

Now normally records under the "sports" category don't really carry my interest. A lot of spoken word and radio shows, usually. But then I found THIS:

akeem_front

Akeem "The Dream" Olajuwon "The Unbeatable Dream"

akeem_back

That's right, one half of the Twin Towers Akeem "The Dream" Olajuwon cut a record in 1987 for his shoe sponsor Etonic. Well okay, he didn't really perform the song, it was actually written and performed by someone called Hurt 'Em Bad and Olajuwon provides the occasional lyrical accentuation. In the chorus, that's him sounding like a retarded muppet saying "Unbeatable!".

akeem_lyrics

Portions of proceeds went to benefit the Lupus Foundation, and when I say portions I mean it in the smallest possible denomination, because I think only me and Ralph Sampson own this record. The rest of the money probably went to Etonics, whose brand name is mentioned throughout the song ("Dripping with sweat and soaking wet / ETONICS on his feet" - ew!) so frequently that this practically becomes a commerical. A horrible, awful commercial. It's stuff like this that eventually gave way to Deion Sanders' music video, and that should almost be considered a war crime.

Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

where is the double A-side 7" with SHAQ DIESEL when you need it?!!

10:13 AM PST  
Blogger Colonel Assrape McFuckstein said...

LUPUS, BITCHES

10:38 PM PST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, Nor only so I own the record, but Ha'kemm signed a copy for me in Seattle at a Sonic game. charles and Clyde were giving him a hard time about the record.

Jeff in Seattle

11:02 PM PST  

Post a Comment

<< Home