pz_banner2

Friday, June 15, 2007

Hideous Nomenclature

nomo

Nomo "One To One"

So I'm going to Chicago for the Pitchfork Music Festival in July, so I decided to do some research on some the acts performing there that I never heard of before. One of such acts is Nomo. At first I thought perhaps Japanese pitcher Hideo Nomo (I call him Hideous Nomo) was going to come up recite poetry about completely blowing games for the Los Angeles Dodgers, but in fact Nomo is a bunch of college aged looking hipsters who play a sort of new wave jazz.

I am a huge fan of horn charts, so Nomo appealed to me immediately. Their horn section sounds sort of like Staxx session musicians playing afrobeat instrumentals, a very modern sounding jazz. The shit just grooves, and ever since I bought their latest LP New Tones I can't seem to stop playing it. Does mean I'm going to trade in all my AC/DC and KISS records for John Coltrane and Ornette Coleman recordings. Well, no. But I'll gladly trade The Elder for anything you've got. A half bag of melted Gummi Bears perhaps?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home