pz_banner2

Friday, September 29, 2006

With Hoods Like Dracula I Walk In Back A Ya

doooom

Dr. Dooom (feat. Jacky Jasper) "Apartment 223"

[right click to download, ctrl or option click if yr a mac!]

I've stated time and time again here at Pop Zeus! that Kool Keith is hands down the greatest MC of all time. Well finally here's some concrete evidence of that statement. I present to you exhibit A: Dr. Dooom's 'First Come First Served', my favorite hip hop record of all time second only to Public Enemy's 'Fear Of A Black Planet (come on, you can't mess with the S-1Ws!).

Here Keith takes on the persona of Dr. Dooom, a sociopath who lives in a rat and corpse ridden apartment where he plays checkers in bloody polo shirts, looks off into the night painted like a Shaka Zulu and enjoys basketball contests between the Toronto Raptors and the Houston Rockets. Dr. Dooom also kills off Keith's most popular alias, Dr. Octagon, in the first track of the record. A cruder production is employed for this follow up to 'Dr. Octagynecologyst', courtesy of Kutmasta Kurt, who Keith would collaborate with on several more projects in the future.

The first time I ever heard Dr. Dooom was on the Santa Monica college radio station. The line that jumped out at me was "taking your ass in a rented van to venice beach/ in a carboard box/ beatin' yr knees down with a bag of master locks". I immediately tracked down this work of art and it continues to amaze me every time I hear it. I also quote lines from it on a daily basis.

So next time you see me on Sunset Blvd with a credit card, and I bust a left on Labrea listening to a tape by Slayer, make sure i'm not faking smoking cigs or i'll throw a rat with mayonnaise at yr headlights.

1 Comments:

Blogger Beatsandblood said...

Kool Keith is the King!
If you don't have it yet, definately check out some of his older masterpieces with Ultramagentic (The Four Horsemen rules!). Also check out this super rare LP he did with Godfather Don as the Cenobites...
http://magga-goldenagehiphop.blogspot.com/2007/08/kool-keith-godfather-don-cenobites-lp.html

Keep it Real! Represent what?

10:37 AM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home