pz_banner2

Monday, August 14, 2006

Pop So Sweet It Deteriorates Yr Teeth

Lily2

Lily Allen "Smile"

[right click to download, ctrl click if yr a mac!]

Here's something a little out of character for me. I admit I have rather eclectic tastes, but straight up pop music (at least from modern times) is something I rarely recommend to anyone. However, I can't deny the sugary sweet pop confection presented here by Lily Allen.

"Smile" has a nice ska-ish backbeat, and she sings in her real british accent, which I always applaud (even when Robert Pollard of Guided By Voices does it, and he's not even british). The song's subject matter is a little darker than it may appear on the surface. Even though the song is sing songy and sun-shiney, the lyrics confess to taking joy from another's misery, albeit misery of comeuppance.

I know summer's almost over, so I can only assume that this song just missed becoming the anthem to some Coke commercial, purely based on its sound and not it's substance.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mawar Mehra: I've seen the vid of this song. Very amusing.

6:09 PM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i'm totally in love with this song & lily a. i think she's pretty saucy & clever :)

11:06 AM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home