pz_banner2

Saturday, May 06, 2006

Hoist Yr Glass

  • Singing Loins "I Don't Like The Man I Am"

  • Golden Smog "Until You Came Along"

  • [right click to download]

    I've never been involved in a pub sing-along, not that I can remember, anyway. But i think it goes something like this: someone plays a song on the jukebox that everyone recognizes, and the crowd is so drunk that everyone sings along loudly, waving their glasses to and fro, spilling the contents everywhere. Sounds like a good time to me.

    loins at little theatre

    The Singing Loins describe themselves as authentic raw folk from the medway delta. "I Don't Like The Man I Am" sounds to me like a perfect drunken pub sing a long, much like i always thought of Golden Smog's "Until You Came Along". I discovered the Loins' song on a compilation for Damaged Goods Records that is just fantastic. Interestingly enough, I found this comp because I was searching for a band called the Budget Girls, who I had read about in Maximum Rock N Roll years ago, and have been trying to track down ever since. It turned out theirs was the weakest song on the record. From what I gather by reading their bio, Singing Loins broke up in 1996, but then apparently reformed in 2005. I just skimmed it though, I'm more interested in the song than the sordid story.

    photo10

    Golden Smog was an alt-country supergroup of sorts comprised of members of Soul Asylum, the Replacements, Wilco, the Jayhwaks and Big Star. "Until You Came Along" was a song I always wished had been on the jukebox at my neighborhood pub, because I would have played the shit out of it until we had ourselves a drunken sing along. The song itself mentions "bar room patrons singin' while i just sat there drinkin'", and the chorus sounds like it could have been recorded in a smoky bar right around closing time somewhere.

    So go ahead, pour yourself a tall glass of poison and sing along at the top of yr loins.

  • singingloins.co.uk

  • Singing Loins @ Damaged Goods Records

  • Golden Smog @ Rykodisc
  • 0 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    << Home