pz_banner2

Monday, January 08, 2007

Vindictive Wine Tasters

The Vindictives "I'm In Trouble Now"

Winepress "Disappointed"

[right click to download, ctrl or option click if yr a mac!]

Well, i'm back in L.A., after the Chirsitmas holiday back home in Chicago. While I was home I hung out with an old friend of mine who I used to play in a band with in college. He and the other two guys definitely shared the same kind of taste in music , kind of a NOFX brand of new punk for the late nineties. Although I despised a great deal of these bands (the ska bands like Less Than Jake being my most hated of all loafs), they did turn me on to some pretty decent stuff that I still listen to to this day.

vindictives

Winepress were kind of like local heros to us, seeing as they were from Chicago (Homewood, actually) and they had made a record that we really liked. That's pretty much all it took to impress us. The Vindictives were another local band that was a little more accomplished than Winepress. We even used the song "I'm In Trouble Now" in a short film we made at our drummer's college dorm. The band featured Ben Weasel for a short time and while the other members of my band loved his band, Screeching Weasel, I absolutely detested them, mainly based on an essay Weasel wrote about how Sonic Youth sucks. Sonic Youth has always been one of my favorite bands, and I had to stick to my guns. Plus I'm afraid that Weasel had a lot to do with the now omnipresent nasally "my music class teacher was impressed with my voice but basically I sing like Debbie Gibson" brand of emo/punk that's so popular these days.

winepress

The main reason the band dissipated (okay, they threw me out for sucking) is that they wanted the band to sound like this kind of stuff and I wanted to be the Ramones and Kiss. A few of our songs did branch this divide, but not enough apparently. So as me and my drummer friend talked about the good old days, I noted these two songs in particular as being a few of my favorites from that era. Call 'em the greatest hits. This is the very best of it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home