pz_banner2

Sunday, October 22, 2006

Yr In A Laundry Room

cobain and kat

Nirvana "Opinion/D7"

[right click to download, ctrl or option click if yr a mac!]

I've recently become a frenzied fan of Continuum Books 33 1/3 series, a series of books written about 'classic' records by rock journalists, fans and artists alike. I 've been snatching them up by the boatload every chance I've had. The best thing about these books is that they're relativelyy cheap and short, I read two of them on a recent plane ride to Chicago.

One of the more interesting ones I've read (by the way I'll warn you right now, the OK Computer one is TERRIBLE) has been Nirvana's 'In Utero' written by Gillian G. Gaar. It documents the relatively easy process of writing and recorded this fantastic record and then some of the corporate sleaze bag bullshit that ultimately ended up slowing it's original release. I remember buying this record the day it came out, on my birthday, riding my bike over to Wind Records to pick it up.

Gaar repeatedly made allusions to Nirvana's 'With The Lights Out' box set in her book, a collection that I had not purchased to this point because despite how much I have always loved Nirvana, I really didn't want to fork out a shit load of money that would end up in the pockets of one Courtney Love. I have a seething, deep hatred for that woman. I would go into it, but it would probably require an entire other blog, and I have enough trouble keeping up with this one.

But reading Gaar's book I decided to cave and go buy it. Used, however. I found that a lot of the material on the box set was stuff I already had from bootlegs I used to buy at record shows in high shool. And one of the songs I expected to be on there wasn't. The bootleg I bought years ago has a song called "Opinion", a song featuring Cobain alone with a guitar and recorded on what sounds like a cheap boombox. On the version I have, it segues into the marvelous cover of "Dementia 7", which CAN be found on 'With The Lights Out" but i think is a slightly different version. Anyway, today I offer up to you the version i've been used to hearing since the 90s, "Opinion/D7".

4 Comments:

Blogger Tony said...

Sugarleaves? Is that you!?

8:07 AM PDT  
Blogger dusted21 said...

MEOW ROWR!

10:09 AM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

try the d7 radio version on the box set. makes me remember what a powerful drummer they had!


m

1:36 PM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

thanks for this! my friends and i have been looking for this d7 version for many years, used to have an outcesticide bootleg, would love to hit up anyone else who has access to gems like these.. cheers

6:49 PM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home