pz_banner2

Friday, August 24, 2007

There's A War Between Us

toecover

Crowded House "She Called Up"

I have never been a big fan of Crowded House. All i really know of them is that they're Australian and their hit "Hey Now Hey Now Don't Dream It's Over" was the theme song to my senior prom. For the record, I graduated high school in 1996, so this was hardly a hit that was still burning up the charts at the time. But I recently did some work on a video for their latest single "She Called Up" and maybe it was the fact that I heard the track over and over again but it really grew on me.

Crowded House have (apparently) always been the harbingers of infectious pop melodies. They've been described as "Beatle-esque", but then I think I've heard everybody described that way at one point or another, so that's a hard adjective to live up to. "She Called Up" is apparently about the band's long time drummer, who committed suicide. Beneath the sweet pop sheen is a dark story about getting the call that one of your best friends is gone. Maybe I shouldn't have told you that. Now you're going to listen to it with a depressed attitude. Never mind what I said. The song is actually about lollipops with slide whisltes dancing in a kiddie pool full of orange drink. Good clean, sticky fun!

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You knew even less than that: They're Kiwi (New Zealanders).

1:11 AM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

www.myspace.com/randalltherapper

www.youtube.com/interntationalpurely

IF YOU AREN'T LISTENING TO THIS YOU SERIOUSLY HAVEN'T HEARD MUSIC. GO NOW!

11:42 PM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home