pz_banner2

Friday, March 02, 2007

That's My Fuckin' Eyepatch!

SixtiesArchives3

Dr. Spec's Optical Illusion "She's The One"

The Playgue "I Gotta Be Goin'"

The Satans "Makin' Deals"

[right click to download, ctrl or option click if yr a mac!]

Somehow, a garage rock compilation called Sixties Archive Vol. 3: Louisiana Punk surfaced on my computer. I do not know where it came from. Perhaps it was put there by Mayor Ray Nagin the time I let him borrow my computer for research on his "chocolate city" project. Nevertheless, it is chock full of Nuggety goodness.

These bands may have never left the bar rooms of New Orleans, but their sounds' influence can be felt through the history of dirty rock n roll. Band like the Satans and the Playgue strum their way through poor man's visions of swinging London and Carnaby Street (one band is actually named Echoes Of Carnaby Street) with the kind of southern swagger Mick Jagger would soon appropriate.

I'm sure if you did enough research you'd be able to track some of these people down and you'd find that they're still down there, twanging away at some timeless hole in the wall on Tolouse Street. One of them is also probably wearing an eye patch. Its a long story but it involves a gator and a hand grenade. And I'm not talking about the tropical drink.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home