pz_banner2

Thursday, February 15, 2007

Asleep At The Wheel

B000LPR4YE.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_

Busdriver "Pompous Posies! Yr Party's No Fun"

[right click to download, ctrl or option click if yr a mac!]

Well we're almost through "New release week", and although its been disappointing I've been able to unearth a few gems out of the rough terrain. This one, however, was by far the biggest let down of what I've been calling "the latest batch" thus far: Busdriver's Roadkill Overcoat.

The first time Busdriver graced my ears, I was blown away. "I just wanna hold your hand when you die" was lodged in my proverbial mind piece for months after that, and I seeked out virtually everything he had recorded up to that point. It's obvious that I was looking forward to Roadkill Overcoat. It just sucks that it didn't live up to its own hype.

The record is full of what some might call "hooks" but none of them are very catchy. The lyrical content is just as clever and spell binding as any other Busdriver recording, but the delivery that makes him such a standout just isn't there. It left me empty handed, asking myself if that was all there was to it.

Now i'm not gonna completely shut out a guy whose musical canon i love so much. Busdriver gets out alive on the track "Pompus Posies! Your Party's No Fun", where he rails the glitterati and their Pavlovian sycophants. Its obvious Busdriver has spent some time in Los Angeles because he hits the nail directly on the head with an over sized carnival strongman hammer. Like I said, the content is solid.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home