pz_banner2

Sunday, October 22, 2006

Back To Bassix

B000I2IRRS.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V41251104_

Robert Pollard "Supernatural Car Lover"

Robert Pollard "Rhoda Rhoda"

[right click to download, ctrl or option click if yr a mac!]

Until recently Robert Pollard had been letting me down a little. Ever since the break up of my favorite band of all time, Guided By Voices, Pollard's releases had been leaving me a little less than satisfied. Particularly the Keene Brothers' 'Blues & Boogie Shoes', a record I hated so much I wanted to throw it out the window of my car. I didn't however, out of my respect for the man who wrote such classics as "Flat Beauty" and "Submarine Teams".

Pollard's newest offering, "Normal Happiness", is a breath of fresh air for me. He's still progressive as ever, trying out new styles here and there (such as the prog freak fest of "Gasoline Rag"), but he remains grounded in his greatest abilities, melody and song writing. "Rhoda Rhoda" is a call back to a simpler GBV brand of pop, and "Supernatural Car Lover" makes me think of the days when Pollard longed to be like his heroes in early R.E.M.

Needless to say, I'm back on the wagon (or is it off the wagon? I can never remember) and when he comes to town i'll be right back up there, sweating and drinking and singing along with all my favorite fish.

  • robertpollard.net
  • 0 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    << Home