pz_banner2

Monday, June 26, 2006

Unpublished

ThurstonMoore-PsychicHearts

Thurston Moore "Psychic Hearts"

Thurston Moore "Hang Out"

[right click to download, ctrl click if yr a mac!]

When I was in high school, I briefly wrote for the high school newspaper. I wrote record reviews (makes sense doesn't it?). When Thurston Moore's first solo record 'Psychic Hearts' came out in 1995 I wrote a review of it. The teacher who ran the newspaper rejected my review. She said she had never heard of Thurston Moore or Sonic Youth and neither had her son (who was a tool), and no one else probably did either so it wasn't mainstream enough for the school newspaper.

I tried to explain to her that that was the point and perhaps if people read about something they had never heard before it would sound interesting to them and they would give it a listen. Hence the point of a record review. I was nixed. She suggested that I write something more along the lines of my review of the Beatles' 'Live At The BBC' the week before which had apparently gone over well with the faculty. I declined and quit the newspaper.

It's things like this that stick with me years later and are the reason why i send out these mp3s every week, as well as write Pop Zeus! on a daily basis. If people never get the chance to read about it then they'll never know what they think of it. You may or may not like "Hang Out" by Thurston Moore, but at least you were given the chance. Fuck that bitch.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

yeh fuck her.

i remeber i made a special link on my sonic youth site after that that said in big letters:

brother rice sucks!

and some fuckhead brother emailed me and was busting my balls about it. i told him all about all the abuse - HA!!!

9:19 PM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

that's "remember," noy remeber - sorry.

bi-otch!

9:20 PM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ow! more typos!

9:20 PM PDT  
Blogger Mr. Craig said...

This has always been one of my fav albums, not least of all because of the reference to Melbourne's Rock N Roll high school. I used to play this on community radio when I was 17 and even did a review of it on local t.v...good times.

8:31 PM PST  

Post a Comment

<< Home