pz_banner2

Monday, June 19, 2006

Music To Get Beat Up By A Girl To, pt. 3

CostelloESpike

Elvis Costello "God's Comic"

Elvis Costello "...This Town"

[right click to download, ctrl click if yr a mac!]

So I said yesterday I would talk about Elvis Costello, but there's a catch. I'm not putting up any of the new stuff that I bought because first of all it's probably not new to YOU, uber hipster music snob, and second just thinking about EC made me think of my favorite record of his, 'Spike'.

First of all, I have been familiar with Elvis Costello for years. When I was a wee lad, all of my older brothers and sisters were big fans. So much in fact that when I firs saw an Elvis impersonator on tv, and heard people calling him as such, and I had to stand up and say "He's doesn't do a very good imitation of Elvis. He doesn't even have the glasses and what's with that flashy suit?". So I knew who Elvis Costello was before I knew who Elvis Presley was.

I've been slowly collecting his records for years, the guy rivals Robert Pollard in his productivity. Although i'm not a very big fan of what I call the "old timey" Elvis, like all of his Burt Bacharach nonsense, I do admire 'Spike'. It kind of straddles that line between old timey and rockin' Elvis.

My sister was actually the one who turned me onto this record. Her bedroom was next door to mine as a lad and I remember hearing her play it often when it was new. I liked it so much I snuck in there and copied the cassette on my boombox and then left the COPY in her case. As if she wouldn't find out. Needless to say she beat my ass, and I deserved it.

So enjoy a few songs from Elvis Costello's 'Spike', a record so good it was worth getting my ass kicked by a girl for.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

that beating just didn't happen bro...i think you're taking creative liberties...
sis

5:57 PM PDT  
Blogger dusted21 said...

well it may not have been a "beating" per se, but there was definitely a verbal scolding that FELT like a beating...

7:23 PM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

prolly
sis

5:26 PM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i think spike was probably one of the last vinyl records i ever bought.

m

1:11 PM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home