pz_banner2

Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Trip With Richard

pryorrichar
  • Richard Pryor "Acid"

  • Richard Pryor "Frankenstein"

  • Richard Pryor was the funniest man who ever lived. Hands down. And that's not just my opinion. It's SCIENCE. Days of my youth were spent watching a worn VHS copy of "Live On The Sunset Strip" over and over again. When I first saw the Richard Pryor box set, containing his complete Warner Brothers recordings I had to have it. Alas, it was a bit too pricey for my tastes at the time.

    Box sets are a definite luxury for a young man. I remember wanting the Led Zeppelin box set (on cassette) SO bad when I was in sixth grade. I asked my dad for it and he told me to save my money and buy it myself. Disgruntled, I did indeed save my money. The occasional loose change would go missing whenever I happened to be in the room. Finally I had enough, but my dad was busy so I had to wait like TEN DAYS (okay it was probably more like two, but seemed longer) until he would take me to buy it. Yes, I realize that was a bit of a tangent, but i'm talking BOX SETS here.

    The Richard Pryor box set proved to be the most elusive item I 've ever had to track down. It wasn't until YEARS later that I found it at a Best Buy. It just so happened to be a store I had stopped into in the middle of nowhere in Michigan, in the WHITEST part of the state. I 'm sure that particular Best Buy's customers could only scoff at the box set, passing it by on the lonely shelf. Meanwhile I had been searching for it for eons.

    The box set does not disappoint. I have selected Pryor's two bits on taking LSD for today's post. Nothing was off topic for this man, and that's what made him the comedic pioneer that he is. Pryor rarely did impressions (Except for his Mudbone character which I always skipped over), but his impression of Frankenstein's monster taking acid is ridiculous, much like the rest of his repertoire. He almost sounds like the singer of NECROPHAGIST.

    Enjoy, motherfuckers.

    0 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    << Home