pz_banner2

Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Urethra: Queen Of Seoul

aretha

Aretha Franklin "Don't Play That Song"

I've found myself watching PBS a lot lately. I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing but I'm sure of one thing: they're never getting any money from me during one of their pledge drives. I'm the kind of bastard who will just take, take, take from my public broadcasting service and never give back. Screw them, they'll never catch me! AHAHAHAHAHAHAAAA!!

Ah, anyway, I recently watched an episode of American Masters about Ahmet Ertegun, co-founder of Atlantic Records. You may remember his character from the film Ray, where he was portrayed by the guy who played Booger from the Revenge Of The Nerds movies. But Ertegun was basically the man when it came to R&B in the 1960s and he also wrote several songs for his artists. What set him apart from every other record label sleaze bag was the fact that he cared about his acts, and would become an active force in the recording sessions.

When Atlantic signed Aretha Franklin in 1967, she was already at the top of her game. Ertegun offered her a song called "Don't Play That Song", a tear jerker that begged the DJ not to play the track that reminded them of an ex lover. Aretha injected it with more soul and passion than anyone had ever intended. Between
watching a lot of PBS and getting through this whole spiel without making one fat joke about Aretha Franklin, I feel I am now a grown up. But while this may be a heart warming story, I'm still not giving any money to PBS. SCREW YOU, YOU BASTARDS! AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAA!!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

we know where you eat
-Grover

6:42 PM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home