pz_banner2

Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Protractor Rock

live L

Cinemechanica "Brain Tarp"

[right click to download, ctrl click if yr a mac!]

Say what you will about "math rock", I've never understood the term. Are we supposed to believe that young, skinny indie guys with crew cuts and horned rimmed glasses are banging out rock tunes that are pre-planned out with protractors and TI graphic calculators? Do these bands incorporate sines and cosines into their chord progressions? If so, I hate them already, because if there's on subject I always hated in school, it was math. That and science. Well, that and science and relgion. Oh, and gym.

Cinemechanica fall under the "math-rock" category, whether they like it or not. The complicated schemes the employ in their songs seem to invite the branding. But I see Cinemechanica as more of an art-punk thing, like Sonic Youth if they ever decided to just balls out rock instead of wanking around all the time (don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of that wanking). Bands of the past like Thumbnail come to mind when I listen to this high energy type of rock.

So don't worry, you don't need to memorize the Pythagorean Theorem to enjoy Cinemechanica (I really hate typing that!). Unless you think it will help, in which case SOLVE AWAY, NERD!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home